Dr. Bernstein's clinical and research interests focus on systemic sclerosis (scleroderma), as well as on the treatment of interstitial lung disease and pulmonary hypertension in patients with autoimmune diseases. Dr. Bernstein has a special interest in the management of autoimmune diseases during pregnancy. She is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and an Assistant Attending at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Bernstein is the Program Director of the CUMC/NYP Scleroderma Program.
Dr. Bernstein graduated summa cum laude from Amherst College, and was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society while a medical student at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine. She was the recipient of the American College of Rheumatology Distinguished Fellow Award and the Charles L. Christian Award for Excellence in Musculoskeletal Research while a rheumatology fellow at Hospital for Special Surgery. Dr. Bernstein has received grants from the National Institutes of Health, Arthritis Foundation, and Rheumatology Research Foundation to study lung disease in scleroderma. Her ongoing research projects focus on interstitial lung disease in scleroderma and on lung transplantation in patients with autoimmune diseases.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome
- Autoimmune Disease in Pregnancy
- Lupus In Pregnancy
- Mixed Connective Tissue Disease
- Pregnancy and Rheumatic Diseases
- Raynaud's Phenomenon
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Systemic Sclerosis
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Program Director, Columbia University/New York-Presbyterian Hospital Scleroderma Program
- Director of Autoimmune Lung Disease Core, Pulmonary & Intensive Care Translational Outcomes Research Group (PICTOR), Columbia University
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Allen Hospital
Schedule an Appointment
Virtual Visits allow you to connect with your provider from the comfort, convenience, and safety of your own home.
- Aetna Signature Administrators
- Medicare Managed Care
- NYP Employee Plan
- NY Signature
- Student Health
- Great West (National)
- Medicare Managed Care
- Essential Plan
- Medicaid Managed Care
- Medicare Managed Care
- Select Care (Exchange)
Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Local 1199
- Traditional Medicare
Oxford Health Plans
- Special Needs
- Compass (Exchange)
- Empire Plan
- Medicaid (Community Plan)
- Medicare Managed Care
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- BA, 2003 Anthropology, Amherst College
- MD, 2007 Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
- MSc, 2013 Clinical and Translational Investigation, Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences
- Internship: 2008 Massachusetts General Hospital
- Residency: 2010 Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship: 2013 Hospital for Special Surgery
- Internal Medicine
Honors & Awards
Alpha Omega Alpha
American College of Rheumatology Distinguished Fellow Award
KL2 Post-Doctoral Scholar Award
Arthritis Foundation Clinical to Research Transition Award
Charles L. Christian Award for Excellence in Musculoskeletal Research
Rheumatology Research Foundation Scientist Development Award
I am a clinical investigator who studies lung disease in systemic sclerosis, post-lung transplant outcomes of adults with systemic autoimmune rheumatic diseases, and the relationship between autoimmunity and interstitial lung disease.
Dr. Bernstein is a clinical investigator who studies the relationship between autoimmunity and interstitial lung disease as well as post-lung transplant outcomes of adults with autoimmune diseases. As an Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Division of Rheumatology at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, she devotes eighty percent of her time to clinical research and twenty percent of her time to clinical care. Dr. Bernstein is also the Program Director of the CUMC/NYP Scleroderma Program, where she has established a clinical and research program in systemic sclerosis and serves as the site PI for several multicenter NIH-sponsored clinical trials.
- Bernstein EJ, Khanna D, and Lederer DJ. Screening high resolution computed tomography of the chest to detect interstitial lung disease in systemic sclerosis: a global survey of rheumatologists. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2018 Feb 9. doi: 10.1002/art.40441. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 29426066. NIHMSID: NIHMS940062.
- Bernstein EJ, Bathon JM, and Lederer DJ. Survival of adults with systemic autoimmune rheumatic diseases and pulmonary arterial hypertension after lung transplantation. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2018 Feb 13. doi: 10.1093/rheumatology/kex527. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 29447389. PMCID: In Process.
- Gordon JK, Martyanov V, Franks JM, Bernstein EJ, Szymonifka J, Magro C, Wildman HF, Wood TA, Whitfield ML, and Spiera RF. Belimumab for the treatment of early diffuse systemic sclerosis: results of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, pilot trial. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2018;70(2):308-16. PMID: 29073351.
- Podolanczuk AJ, Oelsner EC, Barr RG, Bernstein EJ, Hoffman EA, Easthausen IJ, Hinckley Stukovsky K, RoyChoudhury A, Michos ED, Raghu G, Kawut SM, and Lederer DJ. High attenuation areas on chest CT and clinical respiratory outcomes in community-dwelling adults. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017 Jun 14. doi: 10.1164/rccm.201703-0555OC. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 28613921.
- Bernstein EJ, Gordon JK, Spiera RF, Huang W, Horn EM, and Mandl LM. Comparison of delta end tidal carbon dioxide after three minutes of step exercise between systemic sclerosis patients with and without pulmonary hypertension. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017;56(1):87-94. PMID: 28028158. PMC Journal - In Process.
- Gordon JK, Girish G, Berrocal VJ, Zhang M, Hatzis C, Assassi S, Bernstein EJ, Domsic RT, Hant FN, Hinchcliff M, Schiopu E, Steen VD, Frech TM, Khanna D. Reliability and validity of the tender and swollen joint counts and the modified Rodnan skin score in early diffuse cutaneous systemic sclerosis: analysis from the Prospective Registry of Early Systemic Sclerosis cohort. J Rheumatol. 2017;44(6):791-4. PMID: 28298560.
- Bernstein EJ, Barr RG, Austin JHM, Kawut SM, Raghu G, Sell JL, Hoffman EA, Newell, Jr JD, Watts Jr. JR, Nath PH, Sonavane SK, Bathon JM, Majka DS, and Lederer DJ. Rheumatoid arthritis-associated autoantibodies and subclinical interstitial lung disease: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Thorax. 2016;71(12):1082-90. PMID: 27609750; NIHMSID: NIHMS807743.
- Bernstein EJ, Peterson ER, Sell JL, D'Ovidio F, Arcasoy SM, Bathon JM, and Lederer DJ. Survival of adults with systemic sclerosis following lung transplantation: a nationwide cohort study. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2015;67(5):1314-22. PMID: 25581250.
- Bernstein EJ, Isakova T, Sullivan ME, Chibnik LB, Wolf M, and Kay J. Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis is associated with hypophosphatemia: a case-control study. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2014;53(9):1613-1617. PMID: 24706993; PMCID: PMC4135584.
- Bernstein EJ, Mandl LA, Gordon JK, Spiera RF, and Horn EM. The submaximal heart and pulmonary evaluation: a novel noninvasive test to identify pulmonary hypertension in patients with systemic sclerosis. Arthritis Care Res. 2013;65(10):1713-1718. PMID: 23740875; PMCID: PMC4084928.
- Bernstein EJ and Mandl LA. Changing incidence of orthopedic surgery in rheumatic disease: contributing factors. Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2013;15(10):365-372. PMID: 23955065.
- Bernstein EJ, Schmidt-Lauber C, and Kay J. Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis: a systemic fibrosing disease resulting from gadolinium exposure. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2012;26(4):489-503. PMID: 23040363.
- Bernstein EJ and Kay J. Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis: a fibrosing disorder induced by gadolinium exposure. Int J Adv Rheumatol. 2011;9(4):123-133.
- Bernstein EJ, Kay J, and Gibofsky A. Treating rheumatoid arthritis to target: an international initiative. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2011;4(3):79-83. PMID: 21656282. PMCID: PMC3261254.