Elana J. Bernstein, MD, MSc
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Assistant Professor of Medicine at CUMC
- Program Director, Columbia University/New York-Presbyterian Hospital Scleroderma Program
- Director of Autoimmune Lung Disease Core, Pulmonary & Intensive Care Translational Outcomes Research Group (PICTOR), Columbia University
Dr. Bernstein's clinical and research interests focus on scleroderma and other fibrosing disorders, as well as on the treatment of pulmonary hypertension and interstitial lung disease in patients with autoimmune diseases. Dr. Bernstein has a special interest in the management of autoimmune diseases during pregnancy. She is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and an Assistant Attending at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Bernstein is the Program Director of the CUMC/NYP Scleroderma Program.
Dr. Bernstein graduated summa cum laude from Amherst College, and was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society while a medical student at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine. She was the recipient of the American College of Rheumatology Distinguished Fellow Award and the Charles L. Christian Award for Excellence in Musculoskeletal Research while a rheumatology fellow at Hospital for Special Surgery. Dr. Bernstein has received grants from the National Institutes of Health and the Arthritis Foundation to study pulmonary hypertension in scleroderma. Her ongoing research projects focus on pulmonary hypertension in scleroderma and on lung transplant in patients with connective tissue diseases.
Schedule an Appointment
- Medicare Managed Care
- NY Signature
- NYP Employee Plan
- Signature Administrators
- Student Health
- Great West
Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Medicare Managed Care
- Local 1199
Oxford Health Plans
- Medicare Managed Care
- Columbia University Employee Plan
- Medicare Managed Care
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- BA, 2003 Anthropology, Amherst College
- 2007 Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- MD, 2007 Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
- MSc, 2013 Clinical and Translational Investigation, Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences
- Internship: 2008 Massachusetts General Hospital
- Residency: 2010 Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship: 2013 Hospital for Special Surgery
- Internal Medicine
Honors & Awards
Alpha Omega Alpha
American College of Rheumatology Distinguished Fellow Award
KL2 Post-Doctoral Scholar Award
Arthritis Foundation Clinical to Research Transition Award
Charles L. Christian Award for Excellence in Musculoskeletal Research
Rheumatology Research Foundation Scientist Development Award
I am a clinical investigator who studies lung disease in systemic sclerosis, post-lung transplant outcomes of adults with systemic autoimmune rheumatic diseases, and the relationship between autoimmunity and interstitial lung disease.
Dr. Bernstein is a clinical investigator who studies the relationship between autoimmunity and interstitial lung disease as well as post-lung transplant outcomes of adults with autoimmune diseases. As an Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Division of Rheumatology at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, she devotes eighty percent of her time to clinical research and twenty percent of her time to clinical care. Dr. Bernstein is also the Program Director of the CUMC/NYP Scleroderma Program, where she has established a clinical and research program in systemic sclerosis and serves as the site PI for several multicenter NIH-sponsored clinical trials.
SCREENING CHEST CT TO DETECT INTERSTITIAL LUNG DISEASE IN SYSTEMIC SCLEROSIS (Federal Gov)
Jul 1 2019 - Jun 30 2024
A MULTICENTER, RANDOMIZED, DOUBLE-BLIND, PLACEBO-CONTROLLED PHASE 3 TRIAL TO EVALUATE EFFICACY AND SAFETY OF LENABASUM IN DIFFUSE CUTANEOUS SYSTEMIC SCLEROSIS (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Oct 18 2018 - Oct 18 2023
SERVICE AGREEMENT - A PHASE III CLINICAL TRAIL INVOLVING THE STUDY DRUG BAY 63-2521, RIOCIGUAT IN PATIENTS WITH DIFFUSE SYSTEMIC SCIEROSIS (DCSSC) WITH THE BAYER NUMBER 16292 (REFERRED TO AS "STUDY") (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Nov 30 2017 - Nov 30 2022
2018 ASPIRE US RHEUMATOLOGY - ASSOCIATION BETWEEN AUTOIMMUNITY AND SUBCLINICAL INTERSTITIAL LUNG DISEASE (Private)
Aug 8 2018 - Aug 7 2020
TO CONQUER SCLERODERMA WITH A BETTER UNDERSTANDING (Private)
Dec 1 2017 - Nov 30 2019
SCREEN-DETECTED INTERSTITIAL LUNG DISEASE IN SYSTEMIC SCLEROSIS (Private)
Jul 1 2018 - Jun 30 2019
OUTCOMES OF LUNG TRANSPLANTATION IN AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES (Private)
Jul 1 2015 - Jun 30 2017
RITUXIMAB FOR TREATMENT OF SSC-PAH (ASC01) (Federal Gov)
Oct 1 2015 - Apr 30 2017
MECHANISMS OF B CELL RESPONSES IN AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE: C14-AS01-OSU (Federal Gov)
May 1 2013 - Apr 30 2016
SURVIVAL OF SYSTEMIC SCLEROSIS PATIENTS FOLLOWING LUNG TRANSPLANTATION (NY State Gov)
Jul 1 2014 - Jun 30 2015
A SUBMAXIMAL STRESS TEST TO IDENTIFY PULMONARY HYPERTENSION IN SCLERODERMA (Private)
Oct 1 2013 - Sep 30 2014
- Bernstein EJ, Khanna D, and Lederer DJ. Screening high resolution computed tomography of the chest to detect interstitial lung disease in systemic sclerosis: a global survey of rheumatologists. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2018 Feb 9. doi: 10.1002/art.40441. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 29426066. NIHMSID: NIHMS940062.
- Bernstein EJ, Bathon JM, and Lederer DJ. Survival of adults with systemic autoimmune rheumatic diseases and pulmonary arterial hypertension after lung transplantation. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2018 Feb 13. doi: 10.1093/rheumatology/kex527. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 29447389. PMCID: In Process.
- Gordon JK, Martyanov V, Franks JM, Bernstein EJ, Szymonifka J, Magro C, Wildman HF, Wood TA, Whitfield ML, and Spiera RF. Belimumab for the treatment of early diffuse systemic sclerosis: results of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, pilot trial. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2018;70(2):308-16. PMID: 29073351.
- Podolanczuk AJ, Oelsner EC, Barr RG, Bernstein EJ, Hoffman EA, Easthausen IJ, Hinckley Stukovsky K, RoyChoudhury A, Michos ED, Raghu G, Kawut SM, and Lederer DJ. High attenuation areas on chest CT and clinical respiratory outcomes in community-dwelling adults. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017 Jun 14. doi: 10.1164/rccm.201703-0555OC. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 28613921.
- Bernstein EJ, Gordon JK, Spiera RF, Huang W, Horn EM, and Mandl LM. Comparison of delta end tidal carbon dioxide after three minutes of step exercise between systemic sclerosis patients with and without pulmonary hypertension. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017;56(1):87-94. PMID: 28028158. PMC Journal – In Process.
- Gordon JK, Girish G, Berrocal VJ, Zhang M, Hatzis C, Assassi S, Bernstein EJ, Domsic RT, Hant FN, Hinchcliff M, Schiopu E, Steen VD, Frech TM, Khanna D. Reliability and validity of the tender and swollen joint counts and the modified Rodnan skin score in early diffuse cutaneous systemic sclerosis: analysis from the Prospective Registry of Early Systemic Sclerosis cohort. J Rheumatol. 2017;44(6):791-4. PMID: 28298560.
- Bernstein EJ, Barr RG, Austin JHM, Kawut SM, Raghu G, Sell JL, Hoffman EA, Newell, Jr JD, Watts Jr. JR, Nath PH, Sonavane SK, Bathon JM, Majka DS, and Lederer DJ. Rheumatoid arthritis-associated autoantibodies and subclinical interstitial lung disease: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Thorax. 2016;71(12):1082-90. PMID: 27609750; NIHMSID: NIHMS807743.
- Bernstein EJ, Peterson ER, Sell JL, D’Ovidio F, Arcasoy SM, Bathon JM, and Lederer DJ. Survival of adults with systemic sclerosis following lung transplantation: a nationwide cohort study. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2015;67(5):1314-22. PMID: 25581250.
- Bernstein EJ, Isakova T, Sullivan ME, Chibnik LB, Wolf M, and Kay J. Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis is associated with hypophosphatemia: a case-control study. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2014;53(9):1613-1617. PMID: 24706993; PMCID: PMC4135584.
- Bernstein EJ, Mandl LA, Gordon JK, Spiera RF, and Horn EM. The submaximal heart and pulmonary evaluation: a novel noninvasive test to identify pulmonary hypertension in patients with systemic sclerosis. Arthritis Care Res. 2013;65(10):1713-1718. PMID: 23740875; PMCID: PMC4084928.
- Bernstein EJ and Mandl LA. Changing incidence of orthopedic surgery in rheumatic disease: contributing factors. Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2013;15(10):365-372. PMID: 23955065.
- Bernstein EJ, Schmidt-Lauber C, and Kay J. Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis: a systemic fibrosing disease resulting from gadolinium exposure. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2012;26(4):489-503. PMID: 23040363.
- Bernstein EJ and Kay J. Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis: a fibrosing disorder induced by gadolinium exposure. Int J Adv Rheumatol. 2011;9(4):123-133.
- Bernstein EJ, Kay J, and Gibofsky A. Treating rheumatoid arthritis to target: an international initiative. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2011;4(3):79-83. PMID: 21656282. PMCID: PMC3261254.